Monday's with Mom Butterscotch Brownies


My mom belonged to a club called Faculty Wives in the 50's and 60's. I'm not even sure what that was! I think it was the teachers wives from the school faculty that belonged to it. 

 I know they got together about once a month and had coffee. I think the group also did fund raisers and things for the community. My dad was the high school principal, so I suppose that's why she joined.

I mostly remember helping her bake for it when she had to serve. Sometimes she would come home with a recipe or two from some of the other members. That was always fun! We would make it together, they were always so good!

One of the recipes she brought home was this one for Butterscotch Brownies. It was from the math teacher's wife. Mom always put the persons name down by the recipe when she copied them into her recipe book, along with little notes about the recipe.  I love reading them!

It's a simple recipe...an oldie...they taste best warm from the oven!
Chewy and gooey!




Butterscotch Brownies

1/4 c. butter, melted 
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 egg
3/4 c.flour
1 tsp.baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c chopped nuts

Melt the butter, stir in the brown sugar and set aside to cool slightly. Stir in egg and vanilla. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt, and add. Stir well. Add nuts. Pour into a parchment lined 9" pan and bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes. Best served warm!



Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Pam said...

These sound great, and I'd take butterscotch over chocolate any day. I always write the persons name down by the recipe too. Just looked back on old recipes yesterday for Christmas cookie recipes and was surprised at all the names!

DIANA L. said...

Yum Laurie these look great!!!