Banana Cream Pie Baking with Dorie

Today's Baking With Dorie is Banana Cream Pie. You can find the recipe here, or on page 342 of Baking with Dorie from My House to Yours.

This was a thick, creamy, rich tasting pie! I really liked the custard. The cinnamon added a nice flavor...one I never expected I would like in a banana cream pie. I also liked the addition of sour cream mixed in with the whipped cream.

I have to admit I still like my mom's pie crust recipe best. It's just so light and flaky...and I suppose what I am used too. It's made with shortening, not butter, like Dorie's. I think next time I make this I would try it with her crust!

You can find the links to check out the other bakers pies here.






9 comments:

Elizabeth Barbone said...

Yum! Your pie looks great! I have to admit, I was unsure about how the brown sugar would be in the filling but I like it. I thought it went really nicely with the ground cinnamon.

And I hear you on mom's pie crust! I've been gluten-free for two years and my mom's pie crust is one thing I just haven't gotten "just right" yet.

Anonymous said...

Your picture looks great! I really enjoyed the brown sugar and cinnamon in this pie...very unexpected but delicious!

Unknown said...

This looks awesome and I must say I like it most when people make pie FOR ME! My husband likes to make pies. I just posted a pumpkin bar post (out of my comfort zone) but your pie here (banana) may be in our near future...my whole family loves them!

Needful Things said...

There is nothing not to love about this scrumptious pie!
Thanks for baking with us this week :)

Tina said...

yummy-looking pie!! I went banana-less!!

Katerina said...

Why don't you make a nice pie with your mother's recipe. In that way you will give us the chance to know your mother's version. I am pretty sure your mother's will be better. I always trust mothers when it comes to cooking. In the meantime, I will compromise with this one. Not a bad deal at all. It looks really yummy! Waiting for the family recipe.

rebecca @ beurrista said...

I made my pie a month ago and was going to try it again this week, but of course, life got in the way. After reading about yours, I'm all ready to go at it again! (Don't know why mine didn't have the similar effect...)

Unknown said...

Mmmm, looks delicious, Laurie! Especially like the pecans on top.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm! That looks so yummy! It also came out very pretty.