Melt in your Mouth Roast


This is one of my favorite ways to make a roast. Sometimes I just shred it and serve it on buns, other times I cut it and serve it with potatoes and gravy. Either way its fabulous. The flavor is just SO good. It's the little bit of Worcestershire sauce and the onions that does the trick. It's so tender you can cut it with a fork. The name fits. It really does just "melt in your mouth!"

I always think of my childhood home when I make a roast. Every Sunday noon when I was growing up, my mom made a beef pot roast with potatoes, carrots, and gravy. She put it in the oven before we went to church and it was ready when we got home. I loved it then and still do..... it's such great comfort food!

Melt in your mouth roast
{Southern Living's Homestyle Cooking}

1 large onion, sliced
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 3-4 lb. rump roast, cut in half
1 Tbsp. oil
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire

if making gravy:
3 Tbsp. flour
1/4 c. water

Place onion in a 4-quart electric slow cooker. Combine salt and pepper and rub on all sides of the
roast. Cook roast in hot oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until browned on all sides. Remove roast from skillet and place on top of onion in the slow cooker. Add Worcestershire sauce, deglazing skillet by scraping particles that cling to bottom. Pour Worcestershire sauce mixture over meat and onion.

Cover and cook on high 1 hour. Reduce to low setting and cook 7 hours or until meat is very tender. Remove meat and onion to platter, cover and keep warm.

Combine the flour and water, stirring until smooth. Stir flour mixture into drippings in crock pot, uncovered, on HIGH 10 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8 servings

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks perfect for Sunday dinner, Laurie. I love comfort food!

Katerina said...

This is definitely a comfort food and an all time classic.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I STILL remember my mom making roast with potatoes and carrots. Was always my favorite. Your recipe sounds delicious!

Pam said...

Love this and I will be trying it!

Terri J said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I made this for supper tonight, it was delicious!

Unknown said...

I love roasts too! Tis the season! Thanks for sharing your recipe!!! Looks simple and delicious!