Sunday, December 26, 2010

English Toffee Recipe


A few years ago, Brent came home with a recipe for toffee that his boss made for an office Christmas party. He raved and raved about how wonderful it was. I already had a pretty good recipe I liked for toffee, but he said this one was much better. I didn't really think it would be, but I gave it a go.

It's awesome... buttery, crunchy, with a thick layer of milk chocolate...it's melt in your mouth good! I have made it every Christmas since. I don't even know where my old recipe is!

Brent was right again.{but we don't need to let him know}





Peter's Toffee

1 lb. of butter at room temperature
1 c. sugar
small package of crushed almonds
1 pkg. milk chocolate chips

In a large skillet, melt the butter and sugar on low heat. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until mixture turns to a peanut butter brown color. Add 2/3 of the almonds and stir while it is still boiling. Remove from eat and pour into a jelly roll pan. Let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top and let melt. Spread and add remaining crushed almonds. Cool and break into pieces.

11 comments:

Katerina said...

Good things can be found in the most unexpected places.I can see why it has become a hit in your family. You can't go wrong with all this chocolate!

Brownieville Girl said...

Sounds delicious!

vickdn said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE toffee! I am your newest follower :)

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Design Wine and Dine said...

This looks awesome!!! YUM!!!

rebecca said...

Sounds delicious! I tried a toffee awhile back- might need to try your recipe out.

CaSaundraLeigh said...

I actually don't think I've ever made toffee surprisingly!! There so many things I still have that I want to bake/cook.

So another snow storm for tomorrow? This winter is horrible!

Lisa said...

I love this recipe for toffee and have used it myself. Yours looks fantastically delicious.

Jewell.Amanda said...

I believe that this recipe contains an error. I made it, and the butter/sugar ratio seemed way off. They had a lot of butter. After reading other toffee recipes, it appears that they all have double the sugar of this recipe :)

laurie said...

Jewel,

No, the recipe doesn't contain an error, BUT it is a very finicky one!

You MUST use room temp butter, the trick is to boil until it is peanut butter brown.

It is also best to make in a large cast iron pan.

It's worth all the hassle though..the best I have ever taste
d! The texture is wonderful.

Sorry you had problems with it...hope this helps!

Soy-N-Suds said...

This didn't turn out the first time I made it.

I changed the butter to 1 cup (2 sticks) instead of 1 lb. (4 sticks) and it was PERFECT!