Oatmeal Bread


I love making bread. I love the smell as it's baking, and the warm cozy feeling it gives the whole house. I love slicing off that first crusty piece, and eating it with some butter while it's still warm! Is there anything better? I don't think so!

I don't make it as often as I used too, though. I think I need to start making it once a week again! This recipe is one of my favorites. The molasses flavor really shines through. I like to put butter and jam on a thick slice for breakfast or even just for a snack.


This time I made some into buns,too. I froze them for the Holidays, but that didn't last long. After a few days I dug them out...I'll have to make some more now!

Oatmeal Bread

1 c. oatmeal
2 c. boiling water
1/2 c. molasses
3 Tbsp. shortening
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. luke warm water
2 packages dry yeast
5 1/2 - 6 c. flour

Combine the first five ingredients, mix and cool. Mix the luke warm water and yeast, dissolving completely. Combine the two mixtures and add the flour. Knead until a smooth ball is formed...about 10 minutes. Put in a greased bowl, cover with a clean towel and let rise until double in bulk. Punch down and form into loaves. Put in well greased pans.Let rise until double in size and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks delicious, Laurie. I would love a slice toasted and spread with butter...mmmmmm

Penny Hanuszak said...

This Oatmeal break looks so yummy Laurie! And after reading your little dialogue all I wanted was warm bread, butter and jam for supper! Thanks for making me dream!

Katerina said...

This bread is perfect for breakfast. With honey and butter or with ham and cheese, mmm...perfect.

Brownieville Girl said...

They wouldn't last long in my freezer either!!

I'd love one of those buns for my breakfast.

Unknown said...

Love the look of those buns!