Cheesy Tomato Slices


This is by far my favorite way to eat tomatoes! It's like eating pizza without the crust. I can't gobble them up fast enough. I only make them when there are fresh home grown tomatoes,though. Then I make them almost every other day! Sometimes just for a quick lunch on its own, and often to have with a meal as a side. These also make a great appetizer.

My mom would often just sprinkle some salt and whatever cheese she had on hand on top of tomatoes and then broil them, but I prefer this recipe that I found several years ago in a Taste of Home magazine, which has always been my number one source for good recipes. One never knows what gem lies between those pages!

I love summer and all the fresh produce available..I get excited every time I go the Farmers Market to see what I can find!

Cheesy Tomato Slices

{Taste of Home}

1/2 c. shredded mozzarella
1/2 c. grated Parmesan
1/4 c. mayo
1 tsp. dried oregano
salt
4 tomatoes

Slice the tomatoes into thick slices and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Mix the rest of the ingredients together and spread on top of the tomato slices. Broil 3 min. until cheese is melted.

links
sweet details
catch a glimpse thursday

8 comments:

coltpixy said...

This looks so good! I have an overabundance of tomatoes from my garden this year. Will add this to tonight's menu. Thank you!

Amber Bockman said...

trying this right now! thanks for the recipe! I love home grown tomatoes!

Anonymous said...

Ate the first ripe tomato from our little garden today. I forgot how wonderful the flavor of 'fresh' tomatoes is. I'm going to try this for the next one I get. I have to share with my sister so I get every other ripe tomato for right now. We have lots to ripen but they are slow.Diane

Rug Cleaning Los Angeles said...

What a cool recipe! I love sliced tomatoes and who doesn't love cheese? I might make them on the side of some pasta or something for dinner tonight. Thank you for sharing!
-Rachel

Brownieville Girl said...

They look delicious - and much healthier than pizza!

Anonymous said...

I cant wait to try these !
Sarah

Unknown said...

OMG this sooks delicious. This is gonna hit my table several times.

Elizabeth said...

I tweaked this by adding bacon bits & onions. My oh my awesomeness! Thank you for recipe. Great on hamburgers too!