Mondays with Mom...meatloaf recipe


Now that I'm back to blogging more regularly, I decided to get my Mondays with Mom posts going again. My mom taught me to cook and I have so many wonderful memories of the two of us in the kitchen together!

I use so many of her recipes all the time....Brents favorite is this simple classic meatloaf. When I was a kid I really didn't appreciate moms meatloaf like I do now. I was always hoping to see her chicken and gravy at the table every night! I still can't make her chicken or gravy like she did, no matter how hard I try.

Mmmmm. I need to pause a minute and think about her killer chicken and gravy.

Ok I'm done thinking now.

Anyway this meatloaf recipe is pretty classic, nothing unusual here. You can't ever really screw it up...you can add more or less onion, milk, bread.. whatever and it always comes out moist and wonderful.

A true comfort dish. It tastes great in a sandwich the next day too, but that hardly ever happens.... as Brent usually finishes it off!

Mom's Meatloaf

1 1/2 lb. lean burger
1/4 c. chopped onion
1-2 slices fresh bread torn in small pieces
1 egg
a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
1/4 c. milk
Mix altogether and pat in a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 for about an hour. {I always use a meat thermometer.}

3 comments:

coltpixy said...

Only difference between your mom's and mine is down in the South a ketchup mixture gets added to the top like a glaze 10-15 minutes before it is finished cooking.

Meatloaf sounds good! I think I will use your mom's recipe for dinner tonight.

nhunter6 said...

Trying this soon! I just need to figure out how to make the ketchup mixture we use down in the south.. can't imagine meatloaf without it!

Unknown said...

I grew up with my mom making meatloaf without a glaze and it was the best. It was enjoying the meatloaf and not the ketchup or bbq glaze, and those next day meatloaf sandwiches were just as great!