Tomato Basil Soup



Creamy, rich and delicious....this is one of my favorite soup recipes. It's a snap to make, feeds a crowd, and people always ask for the recipe. I copied the recipe years ago from a magazine, and am so glad I did!

I like the small pieces of tomato and basil, but you could blend it if you prefer a smooth soup. This recipe is large, I make only half and we get about 2-3 meals out of it for the 2 of us. I serve it with grilled cheese.

I also cut the butter down... for a half batch I use just a few tablespoons. (I always use real butter,too.)

I usually never make soup in the summer, but I was craving this!  Plus I have a big pot of basil growing so well on my deck this year. I think I need to start making some pesto and freezing it. There's nothing better then the taste of fresh pesto in the middle of winter!





Tomato Basil Soup

2 cans crushed tomatoes ( 28 oz. each)
10-15 fresh basil leaves, minced
1 can chicken broth
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 c. butter
1 c. whipping cream

Combine the tomatoes and broth, bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn down to low and add the basil and sugar. Stir in the cream and and butter until melted.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Love homemade tomato soup & grilled cheese...such a comfort food, even on a cool summer evening!
Thanks for all your recipes...I've pinned more than I need...great ideas! Your card blog is awesome too!
Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

What size can of chicken broth should be used?