Jamie's Charred Corn Salad




I LOVE Jamie Deens new show, "Home for Dinner" on Food network!



If you have been reading my blog, you know I adore Paula and the Deen family. On my visit to Georgia, I got to eat at their family restaurant, "The lady and Sons." It was an awesome experience, and one I plan to repeat soon...hopefully on our trip back to Savannah next fall.

Oooooodoggies...every bite was delicious!




While we were there, I had my picture taken with Jamie. I loved his southern manners and accent...he was really patient and kind to all of us wanting a photo with him. ( You can read  more about that post here.)

Anyway, when I found out he was going to have a show of his own, I couldn't wait until it aired.  I watch every episode and am really enjoying his recipes. They are not as loaded with calories as his mom's nor as light as his brother Bobby's...pretty balanced, down home cooking. (I still enjoy both Paula's and Bobby's shows and recipes too.)

I love the scenes around Savannah and watching his family enjoy his meals. It's a pleasant half hour that I look forward to every Saturday. PLUS on Saturdays my other favorite show, Pioneer Woman is on. Her new season starts in August. Can't wait for that!

This salad was great.... I served it as a side to some grilled chicken. Roasting the corn really brought out the flavor and the lime added such a fresh summertime taste. I can't wait to try some more of his recipes!


Jamie's Charred Corn Salad

2 ears corn on the cob, husked
3 T. olive oil
juice of one lime
salt and pepper to taste
1 15oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
1 c. cooked and cooled brown rice
1/4 c. red onion, diced
3 green onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced

 In a cast iron skillet, roast the corn until charred. Cool and remove kernels with a sharp knife. In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, lime and salt and pepper. Toss all ingredients together and serve.











5 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

I usually avoid corn, but I can see that charring the corn would make it way more appealing to me. This sounds delicious. So do you put oil in the skillet or just roll the ears of corn around on the hot skillet until charred? I'm pinning this recipe!

Lynn said...

This sure sounds good, love that the corn's roasted in cast iron too:@)

Healthy Diets said...

This looks healthy and delicious! I definitely would like to try this.

Anita Rowe Stafford said...

Sounds delicious, and so cool that you got a picture with Jamie on your trip!

Rosemary said...

We've enjoyed this salad many times. We are bringing it for the 4th of July BBQ. So colorful, healthy and very very delicious!