Heath Bars



When I was growing up, my mom was involved in making our church cookbook. She put in several of her favorite recipes .....I remember helping her pick them out.

When the book came, I was so excited to try all of the recipes in it! It was fun to try out recipes of people we knew.

One of the first I tried was this one, Heath Bars. It was so simple, just 4 ingredients.

It was all going well until I looked in the oven and saw the crackers going crazy! They were bubbling up all over, but mom said to just follow the directions. So I did. I took them out after 5 minutes, and sure enough the crackers settled down into the pan again. I sprinkled them with the chocolate chips, waited for them to melt and then spread that delicious chocolate all over them. They were a big success, and I must have made them at least once a week back then! Here's a photo of my tired old worn out book:



I like to cut them first, then put them in the frig for a few minutes, then break them apart.We always store them in the frig too. Funny how they disappear so fast...be prepared...that frig door will be opening ALOT!



I made them quite often when the kids were growing up. But it's been awhile since I have made them. I was planning to visit a friend who has been sick, and wanted to bake something to take with me. So I dug out one of my recipe books and saw this recipe.

 What's wrong with me? I can't believe I haven't made these for years when they are SO good!

They taste amazing, actually just as the name applies, like Heath Bars. And there's nothing better than chocolate and toffee!


Heath Bars

1 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
saltine crackers
1  (12 oz.) bag chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400. Grease a cookie sheet. Line it with soda crackers. In a sauce pan, melt butter and add brown sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 3 minutes. Pour over crackers and bake 5 minutes. Turn off oven. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Put back in the warm oven for a few seconds until chips melt. Spread with a knife. Cool before cutting. I like to put the pan in the frig for a few minutes to harden a bit, then break the cut bars apart.( I also like to store these in the frig, as I like to eat them cold.)





Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "Hip Padders" recipe title cracked me up! Hahaha

doodlebugmom said...

Yum, we love these too! Sometimes we make them in an 8x8 pan, using 2 layers of crackers and toffee. They are really good with Townhouse crackers too!

PS I have church cookbooks that look like that too. The pages with the best recipes are the messiest!

HollyRidgeCreations said...

They sound delicious!!
Judy

Liz said...

Those old forgot about recipes are the best! I am going to pin these!

Tracey said...

I just made them this weekend for a wedding shower! Classic!!

Jill said...

Pinning it - sounds great and so easy!

Cranberry Morning said...

It's probably a really good thing a pan of those isn't sitting in front of me right now! They look wonderful.