Poppy Seed Walnut Salad


I made this salad quite a bit this summer, especially when I had fresh picked berries. It's so light and refreshing on hot days. It's still pretty hot up here, usually the fall weather hits by now, but I'm not complaining....it'll be here soon enough!
This dressing is not creamy, but vinegar based. It has a nice tang and is slightly sweet.

 I love the caramelized walnuts, in fact I could eat them by the handful. I always have to force myself to leave some for the salad!


Poppy Seed Walnut Salad

Romaine lettuce, torn
1 pkg. strawberries, sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 c. caramelized walnuts

Dressing:
1/4 c. oil
1/3 c. sugar ( can use Splenda)
1/4 c. cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. poppy seeds

To caramelize the walnuts, place 2 Tbsp. butter and 2 Tbsp. sugar in a pan. Add walnuts and cook until lightly browned.(stir often so they don't burn)

Mix the dressing together. Put the lettuce, strawberries, onion and walnuts in a salad bowl. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
Print Friendly and PDF

links:
recipe round up

No comments: