Pioneer Woman's malt chocolate chip cookies




I've had these cookies on my list to make for a long time. I got PW's cookbook last Christmas, and bookmarked the page right away.

I love malted milk. When I was in high school, I worked at our local Dairy Queen. Our boss was the BEST and would let us eat a free meal during our shift. I always made a malt to go with my burger. OF COURSE it was chocolate, sometimes hot fudge, but I ALWAYS added extra malt powder.

So of course I was expecting a malt flavor when I bit into this cookie. It called for a half a cup. But, much to my surprise, no malt flavor AT ALL. I was SO disappointed. Besides that, the cookies baked SO flat. 

I double checked the recipe, and yes I used a half cup. I tasted the malt powder, and yes it tasted fresh. So I'm not sure what happened. 

PW did say in her book, " these cookies are supposed to be flat, unlike my abdomen." (haha) So I felt better about the shape of the cookie. They tasted OK, nothing special, though, as I was expecting.

I bagged them up and set them away. The next day I had one, and WOW they were delicious! Still no malt flavor, but they were so crispy and buttery, and slightly chewy in the middle. Brent loved them,too! He even said they were the best cookie I ever made.

 I gave some to a friend, who also couldn't taste any malt flavor either, but enjoyed hers dipped in milk.

I would definitely make these again, they aren't a pretty cookie, as they are so flat with chocolate chip bumps sticking out, but they taste awesome. As to the malt flavor, I'm not sure. I guess I'll try to email PW and see if I get a response. Maybe she knows what happened!

Malt Chocolate Chip Cookies
PW

1 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c. rounded malted milk powder
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/4 tsp. salt
one (12 oz.) bag milk chocolate chips

Cream the butter and sugars. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well. Add the vanilla and malted milk powder. Sift in the dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in the chocolate chips. Bake at 375 for 10-12 min.( cookies spread)

1 comment:

Leslie said...

They actually look great to me! Sometime I like a thin, crisp cookie and with those ingredients you can't go wrong. There is place back home with the best chocolate malt, and ever since trying it I'm a big fan, too!
Blessings,
Leslie