Cherry Almond Scones



Scones.I just love them when they are chock-full of cherries and almonds! I also like the almond flavoring, actually I pretty much like anything with almond flavoring in it. I usually add a bit more than the recipe calls for,too.

I just realized that I took the photos before I drizzled the almond icing on top. They are very good without, but of course we like them better with the added sweetness.

This recipe is actually meant for drop scones, but as you can see, I shaped them and cut them before baking, either way works fine.

They were as tasty as always, and didn't last long...







Cherry Almond Scones

2 1/4 c. flour
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
2-3 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp.salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. reduced fat vanilla yogurt
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1/2 c. dried cherries
1/2 c. slivered almonds

Combine the dry ingredients, in another bowl mix the wet, then stir together just until moistened.(I sometimes add a bit of milk if needed.) Fold in the cherries and almonds. Drop by heaping tablespoons onto a greased baking sheet. Serves 14. Bake at 400 for 15-18 minutes until lightly browned.

(I mix about a cup of powdered sugar, a Tablespoon of soft butter, half tsp. of almond extract and some milk together to drizzle over the top.)


4 comments:

Laurie said...

I've been holding off making these since you posted them. I thought Christmas brunch was the perfect time to make them. I didn't have dried cherries, so I used dried mixed berries. Kept everything else the same. Everyone raved about them! They will be my go-to scone recipe now. Thanks! Merry Christmas! from Arkansas Laurie

MJ said...

These are so delish! They puff up so high! Definitely one of my favorites!

Annie Egeler said...

I can hardly wait to make these. I just ordered 5# dried cherries from my home - Northern Michigan! I'm in Georgia now, but you can't take the Northern Michigan out of me, especially since I grew up on a cherry farm! I love scones - especially the homebaked scones!

Sheila said...

I made your scone recipe with a few changes. I toasted the almonds that were incorporated into the scones, I added some cinnamon and used whipping cream, dark chocolate chips and vanilla extract instead of vanilla yogurt and butter. Then I scattered some more sliced almonds on top of the scones They're so good! My husband and I are half of them for breakfast. Thank you for sharing your recipe. 😋