Ginger Snaps made with oil, no butter...pinned it and tried it


Pinned it, tried it , and am so happy I did!

To me, a Christmas cookie tray always needs a good ginger cookie. But all my recipes use butter, and this year, I am trying to bake with healthier oils when I can. I saw this recipe on Pinterest for Gingersnaps with oil instead of butter, so I tried it. 

The texture is just perfect! I baked some for a shorter time, with soft centers and let them set a minute before removing them from the tray.... for me. I like a chewier cookie. Some I baked longer, for Brent who prefers a crunchier cookie. Both worked perfectly with this recipe.( The photos are of the softer cookies.)

At first when I dumped in a tsp. each of cinnamon, cloves and ginger, I thought it may be a bit too much. Especially the cloves, which tends to be a stronger spice. BUT wow...the flavor was so intense and delightful, absolutely the perfect amount of spices. A bonus was our home smelled awesome all day....really like Christmas..... with gingersnaps in the air! Off to the freezer they go!

A keeper for sure!





Ginger Snaps
adapted from

1/4 cup molasses
1 c. brown sugar
3/4 cup canola oil 
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt 

Mix the egg,oil, molasses, and brown sugar. Add the flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Mix gently and shape into balls. Roll in sugar and place on parchment lined cookie sheet. Flatten slightly and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes, until lightly brown on the bottom.


Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are great! I was looking for a cookie recipe that didn’t use butter, and this one is so simple and yummy! Thanks:)