Old Fashioned Refrigerator Cookies


Both my grandma and Brent's used to make SO many types of awesome cookies. Some of my favorites are:






I usually make those during the holidays. Which is right around the corner!

But they both used to make ordinary everyday ice box cookies too. So did my mom. I hadn't made any in quite a while, so I dug out this favorite recipe.

I like the crispy texture, and the sweet brown sugar flavor. This time I added chopped pecans. I slice them pretty thin, and they make a TON. I usually make just half a batch, and I still get quite a few.
But cookies usually don't last long around here!


Old Fashioned Refrigerator Cookies

1 c. butter
2 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp.vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp.soda
3 1/2 c. flour
1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)


Cream the butter and sugar. Stir in the vanilla and eggs. Add the dry ingredients, mixing well, and then stir in the nuts. Form into 2 logs and wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate over night. Slice thin and bake on a greased cookie sheet at 350 until lightly browned. 

3 comments:

Liz said...

I haven't tasted these cookies in many, many years! My grandma made them at least once a month! So glad you shared this recipe!

Unknown said...

My mom used to make a lot but especially during christmas time. We would leave some out for Santa. I made them for my children growing up during christmas too and they would always made sure to leave a plate for Santa! Now my daughter is asking for this recipe to make with her son now too. A simple family traditions to share...

Unknown said...

Thank you for this recipe, my mom used to make them during Christmas time. I make them now for my church and myself. They are delicious.