Christmas Sugar Cookies


YUM!

These were great!

I found the recipe over at Sally's Baking Addiction.

I stumbled on her video one day and thought..."Hey, maybe I can do this."

I have always been afraid of decorating those beautiful Christmas cookies I see everywhere...but secretly would love to learn. All those gorgeous cookies with royal icing...wow they are amazing! But intimidating. Where to start?

This recipe, icing and technique looked fun and easy and got good results. So I tried it and I learned quite alot!


First, the cookie. I was glad I used this recipe, because they are delicious! I loved the bit of almond flavor added with the vanilla. And they are so EZ to roll out and cut if you follow her suggestions. I rolled them out THICK between parchment and then chilled them in the frig b4 cutting them. This worked great!




The icing is just powdered sugar, corn syrup, water, vanilla, and a pinch of salt. I love the shine! 

I also used squeeze bottles which made it so much simpler. First I would outline the shape with a pipping bag, then flood with the bottle. After a bit I realized I really didn't even need the piping bag so I just used the bottles.

I left them out overnight to dry before I packaged them up in airtight containers and froze them.

Here are the cutters that really got me motivated to try this recipe...they are so cute!




Now these aren't perfect but hey I'm satisfied! I didn't get frustrated and this makes me want to practice some more. Will I ever try royal icing and get more detailed? I'm not sure, but I will be using this recipe and icing again!




No comments: