PW's Mini Sausage Casserole



Well these were amazing!

I have to honestly say I have never gone wrong making one of Pioneer Woman's recipes. She nails them every time!

I've been trying out brunch recipes for Christmas and came across this one found in one of her MANY recipe books I have collected over the years.

The reason why I wanted to try them was.... its a "make ahead" and "freezes well" for reheating. I like EZ around the holidays. Who am I kidding I like EZ all the time..lol!

I settled on using Jimmy Dean sausage for the recipe..one can never go wrong with that. We aren't big sausage eaters but our kids are. And actually we do like to have sausage every now and then instead of our usual preference of bacon. But the kind of sausage makes a difference and I wanted a tried and true one I knew we all liked.

I found one muffin to be plenty and Brent had two..they are quite satisfying and filling.... chuck full of cheese,onions, green peppers and sausage. Lots of protein here.

I do think next time I make them I will do half with bacon and mushroom. The recipe makes 18, so having two or three variations would be fun. Maybe some with ham and green chilies, too!

PW's Mini Sausage Casseroles

1 lb. Jimmy Dean sausage
1 medium onion, chopped.

Fry until onion is translucent and sausage is browned. 

Cool. 

In a mixing bowl whisk:

15 eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 c. grated cheddar cheese
1 medium green pepper, chopped

Slowly add the cooled sausage and stir together. Use a 1/3 measuring cup and fill the greased muffin tins. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until set. (Can wrap and freeze. Unthaw and reheat in microwave.)




Print Friendly and PDF

No comments: