Nanaimo bars


The other day my hubby handed me a recipe from a newspaper that had shared some Christmas goodies. He asked, "Can you make me these...please?"

Well how could I refuse!

I read the recipe...Nanaimo bars...hmmm.

After reading the ingredients I realized I have had them
 many times before..... but have to confess I have never made them myself. They are so delicious I'm not sure why I haven't!

So I got to work and made the 3 layers of yumminess! They turned out great and hubby was happy. I'll have to make them more often.

As we were enjoying one, he asked where the name came from..... so I looked it up on google:

The Nanaimo bar is a dessert item of Canadian origin. It is a bar dessert which requires no baking and is named after the city of Nanaimo, British Columbia. It consists of three layers: a wafer, nut, and coconut crumb base; custard icing in the middle; and a layer of chocolate ganache on top.



They sure new what they were doing coming up with this!

Nanaimo Bars
(Treasured Sweets)


Bottom Layer: 

1 stick of butter
1/4 c. sugar
5 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 c. shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped almonds

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in sugar and cocoa powder. Add egg and cook until it starts to thicken. Remove and stir in the vanilla, graham cracker crumbs, coconut and almonds. Press into a 9" ungreased pan.

Middle Layer:

1/4 cup butter
2 Tbsp. instant vanilla pudding mix
2 Tbsp. milk
2 cups powdered sugar

Mix the pudding and butter well, add the milk and powdered sugar. Spread onto the bottom layer and put in frig for 20 minutes.

Top layer:
2/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
2 Tbsp. butter

Melt the chocolate chips, stir in butter until combined and spread on top. Refrigerate until set. (Cut into small squares as they are very rich! I got 36.)









No comments: